PDA

View Full Version : Orange ferret?

JessChi<3'sWees
06-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Okay, so my beautiful white ferret is growing up, and his fur is turning orangy. Should I be worried? I know yellow fur can be normal...but orange?? :helpsmilie:

MysticalManana
06-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Its oils over produced due to hormone surges in spring. I have a boy who has always got orange crusty oil patches in the same places every spring. It will pass.

JessChi<3'sWees
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
thank you!! haha i figured it was not harmful, but you can never be too sure with these guys :)

FerretMath
06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
My boy Rucker's tail which is normally grey is a yellow/orange right now...and Diggory-Doo is a pale orange color all over. He's usually a very very light champagne, almost off-white. I somehow just noticed his color change last night and had the same concern you did. Guess it's nothing to worry about! :angel:

KokosDaddy
06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
The pores of the tail can become clogged. You will want to wash the tail once a week or so with a mild cleanser or warm water and Dawn dishsoap to help keep the sikin on the tail free of tiny dark dots. Left unchecked, this can lead to tail baldness, known as rat's tail.

JessChi<3'sWees
06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
That's where the orange started on my little guy too. It started at his tail and worked up his rump area into his lower back. So I should clean him with the dawn soap once a week too?

bobsmom
06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
That's where the orange started on my little guy too. It started at his tail and worked up his rump area into his lower back. So I should clean him with the dawn soap once a week too?

If your ferret had blackheads or black spots on his tail then, yes once a week with Dawn and that should clean up the blackheads. remember many vets and others see rat tail (yes, even the blackhead stage) as a precurser or first symptom of Adrenal disease. it is 100% with my ferrets. if they got rat tail they ended up adrenal.

If it is just orange oils give a good bath and stop cleaning. Too many baths only make oiliness worse. Most white ferrets will get orange oilies around rut/shed time or even other times.

ferretzrule
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Yellow, orange, and even red discoloration in the absence of any other bacterial, fungal, or parasitic issue is most likely caused by sebum, an excess of sebaceous oils. Blackheads are also caused by sebum. I would not recommend a weekly washing for this problem, instead, try using a soft toothbrush and mild solution of Dawn with water to gently scrub the blackheads loose. Weekly washing will only cause the oil glands to produce more sebum, hence, more yellow fur and blackheads.

Male ferrets, even neutered males, will excrete more sebum this time of year (Dec - Jul). The problem is, if your neutered male is excreting excessive sebum (enough to noticeably discolor fur and/or cause blackheads) during the normal male breeding season, the odds are pretty good that he is having an issue with his hormones. The most common cause of this is early adrenal disease.

Monitoring the number of hours he spends in the light, and a melatonin implant, may help.

KokosDaddy
06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Regarding my advice to wash weekly. I'm not talking about a full body wash, only the tail.
Warm water, gently rubbing the affected area. I personally wouldn't use a brush on a tail, but that's just me.

As the area improves, I'd reduce the frequency of washing the affected area(s).

JessChi<3'sWees
06-15-2010, 06:24 PM
wait, im really confused. My guy is only 6 months old, he barely gets baths. The only time i wash him at all is if he makes a mess when he uses the bathroom, and i only wash his bottom half. There are no black dots or anything on his tail, he is just orangy colored. Should i wash the extra oil with the dawn solution? or just leave it alone? Also, should i really be worried that he might be adrenal because of this orangy oil?? Sorry about all the questions, im just confused lol.

MysticalManana
06-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Unless its itchy or bothering him I would just leave it alone, too much washing will irritate his skin and no I dont think it means he is adrenal, he hasnt any other indications of being so.
Not to worry, just enjoy your boy and his vibrant spring colors!

bobsmom
06-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Your boy is white, yes? All white males will get orangie oil deposits occasionally. The others do too. it is just more obvious in DEWS and Albinos. Do not bath. Don't worry about the tail or adrenal at this time. Relax, take a deep breath and enjoy your little guy. Sometimes we old fogies over analize. Sorry bout that.

JessChi<3'sWees
06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
haha its okay, thanks everyone for all the information and clearing stuff up :)