PDA

View Full Version : How to Treat ferrets for Fleas??

HollyG
02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
I was just wondering how would one treat a ferret for fleas? What meds to use?

bobsmom
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
No flea collar=deadly. Some use reveloution. We use frontline spray. Spritx the ferret a couple of time and gently rub the spray in. Works well. Others can give you dosage and type.

HollyG
02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
I called around and the only petstore that carries any kind of flea treatment that I know of is Petsmart or PetCetera around here and they don't have any for ferrets?

bobsmom
02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
we use the cat frontline spray. 1 spritz for every pound. Avoid the face and gently massage the spray into the fur. It is not cheap.

Dragonferret
02-12-2012, 09:19 AM
The one Bobsmom and I use is Frontline for dogs and cats. The 100ml bottle costs $25.00-$30.00.

If you have fleas in the house or yard try www.cedarcidestore.com (http://www.cedarcidestore.com). We have used in the past and love it. Nontoxic and smell like cedar.

kfarlee
02-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Advantage for cats works very well. Two drops on the scruff and fleas are gone very quickly.
Revolution has the advantage that it will also kill earmites, but our shelter has used Advantage for years with good results and no problems. Since the dose is so small, you can split one vial among multiple ferrets.
For Advantage and Revolution, any of the cat sizes have the same ingredients, just more or less in the vial depending on the size of animal it's intended for. So, the shelter gets the large cat version and uses it for multiple ferrets. It's much cheaper that way.

HollyG
02-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Advantage for cats works very well. Two drops on the scruff and fleas are gone very quickly.
Revolution has the advantage that it will also kill earmites, but our shelter has used Advantage for years with good results and no problems. Since the dose is so small, you can split one vial among multiple ferrets.
For Advantage and Revolution, any of the cat sizes have the same ingredients, just more or less in the vial depending on the size of animal it's intended for. So, the shelter gets the large cat version and uses it for multiple ferrets. It's much cheaper that way.

Where is Advantage or Revolution found? I have a Petsmart and a Walmart near by. Can I find it there?

kfarlee
02-12-2012, 12:58 PM
You can get Advantage at pet stores. I'm not sure about Revolution.
Vets would carry either.

HollyG
02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
So, Advantage is so expensive where I live!

bobsmom
02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
No, no, no, too strong.

jadeguppy
02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Tea tree oil is good for a bug repleant. A bottle of ferret shampoo with tea tree in it might work. There is also a spray for them that has tea tree in it. I've seen reports that it also helps with the itchy skin.

HollyG
02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
I checked all of the ferrets for fleas and didn't see ANY what so ever. No flea poop or bite marks on the skin. So, I have also read that soaping them up and letting them sit for 2 minutes in just regular cat/kitten shampoo will help kill any fleas that may be there that I can't find. So, I did that today and washed their bedding. I will still treat them with something. I called the vet and he reccomends Revolution but he actually has to see the ferrets which will be a check up charge ontop of the Revelution I will have to buy.

BadgersMama
02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
As mentioned tea tree oil works as well. Marshall carries a spray that has this in it, you can find it online with a simple google search.O

HollyG
02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I'll give tea tree oil a try.

jadeguppy
02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
As a side note, mixing tea tree oil with water works really well as an anti-fungal. It took care of my bathroom mildew/mold issue and I can't use most commercial bathroom cleaners due to the smell. I've just been hesitant to diy for the ferrets. Does anyone happen to know the proper ration for a ferret spray?

kfarlee
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Again, Advantage (for cats) works very well for fleas, and can be purchased at Petco.

We've used it for years with no issues at all.

FaunaFreak
02-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I use Advantage Multi for Cats (the orange one - I think that's the one for small cats and kittens). As for bathing, I just washed my ferts in a Hypoallergenic cat/dog shampoo and let it sit for 10 minutes, which is what I do when I bathe cats or dogs that have fleas. No reason to put out the extra money for flea dip. Haven't tried the tea tree oil, though. I want to, but I've heard it's bad for cats

ferretzrule
02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
See, the thing is that they don't have an infestation at all! I have only seen two so far. I checked all of the ferrets for fleas and didn't see ANY what so ever except those two in which I was able to catch and kill one and flushed it and almost caught the second! No flea poop or bite marks on the skin.

One adult female flea will produce about 7,000 eggs per month.

As Bmama mentioned, Marshalls does market a spray, and a shampoo, that contain tea tree oil. Never use tea tree oil straight, it is toxic. Three drops in a handful of baby shampoo works fine. Remember to put a ring of shampoo around the ferrets neck and lather it up a bit before applying to the rest of the body, otherwise the fleas will head for high ground and infest the head while you are bathing them...and you do not ever want to apply these products around the ferrets eyes, nose or mouth.

Treat fleas in your home by mixing 1.5lbs diatomaceous earth (from the garden center, not the pool supply), 1.5lbs natural borax and a cup of salt. Sprinkle it around on carpets and in cracks and let sit for a couple days, then vacuum thoroughly. You do not want your pets sniffing this stuff or walking on it, so keep them off til you vacuum it up.

Revolution, Advantage, Advantage-Multi, etc can be purchased at a reasonable price and without a prescription through PetShed.com...they are in Australia. I buy Revolution in bulk from them yearly and break it down into ferret size doses (18mg/kg).

HollyG
02-22-2012, 05:36 PM
What are some other things that can cause itchiness?

bobsmom
02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Dry skin, Adrenal Disease, allergies to soaps, shampoos, detergents, fabric softeners, etc.. Most ferrets are somewhat itchie. Sounds like a flock of woodpeckers in my ferret room sometimes. hehehehehe