PDA

View Full Version : Can ferrets eat eggs?

Angel
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
and can you put them in soupies? Austinn loves his kibble soupies. I occasionally add olive oil, but not often. Also are Marshalls Bandits Chicken flavor ferret treats bad? What about Marshall food?

mystressoffuzzies
07-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't have an answer for you on the egg question however there are plenty of people here who will chime in on it I'm sure. I have read that in the wild this is part of a ferrets diet. These little guys are now domesticated so I'm not sure if that changes things or not.

As far as Marshall's food goes it isn't the best for our babies IMO. For one it makes their poop smell horrible and mine pooped a lot when on that diet. The pet stores who sell ferrets tell you that Marshall's is what you should feed them. There are lots of better choices out there. They need a diet high in protein. When reading ingredients look for protein from a good source. A source that says "chicken by products" is not a good choice. I know Marshall's uses a lot of fish in their food. I'm not a big fan of that myself because if pregnant women should avoid eating a lot of fish maybe we should watch how much we give our kids.

We feed our kids a mixture of Ultimate 8 in 1 and Totally ferret. We have found their poop is less stinky (if that's possible) :laughing: and they poop less since their little bodies use more of the food they eat.

We ourselves don't give treats to our kids. A treat to them is a piece of kibble served to them in the palm of our hand :)

kfarlee
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I know people who regularly include either whole eggs or powdered eggs in their soupie that they make for their ferrets. They seem to have done fine, however I've not personally done it so I can't comment from first-hand experience.

After years of not using or recommending Marshalls, we've started to include it in our mix, for a specific purpose. As mentioned, it adds lots of bulk, and we've also noticed that when you have a fuzz with loose poop, adding the Marshalls in seems to help firm it up.
It's a mix so we're not feeding exclusively marshalls (or any of the others), but it's now part of the blend.

For treats, Totally Ferret used to make treats that were nutritionally almost identical to their food, which is quite good. The kids loved them too. Unfortunately, they've stopped making the treats and I haven't found a substitute that both the ferrets and I are satisfied with. (They'd like the sugary treats, but I won't feed them. I've found some acceptable treats nutritionally but the ferrets turn up their noses...)

Angel
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
So Marshalls is okay but it isnt the best? So is it okay to finiish most of the bag and then switch?

Angel
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
and what do you mean by whole egg?

bobsmom
07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
The whole egg as in shell and all.

Luvfuzzy
07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
So Marshalls is okay but it isnt the best? So is it okay to finiish most of the bag and then switch?

It won't hurt to finish the bag. We have it in our mix, mainly cuz they like it. We have 3 other foods in the mix though too.

kfarlee
07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
You never want to abruptly switch foods on a ferret. They generally don't do well with that sort of change. If you want to go to a mix of more foods, you can slowly add them in to the Marshall's, that's usually the easiest way to transition.

MysticalManana
07-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I add whole cooked eggs to their soup and have for years. I make their soup with chicken,turkey, and alternate adding venison, duck or quail each batch. For some reason they dont like beef.
I also use a little marshalls in my mix now but the majority is various brands of grain free, duck, turkey, venison and bison kibbles.
I also want to thank Badgersmama and Kokosdaddy for the little blender they send to me years ago, I have never made a batch of soup without it and its still going strong! Bean says it makes the bestest soup in the universe!

BadgersMama
07-03-2012, 07:17 AM
I also want to thank Badgersmama and Kokosdaddy for the little blender they send to me years ago, I have never made a batch of soup without it and its still going strong! Bean says it makes the bestest soup in the universe!

Wow, that thing is still going! Lol

Angel
07-03-2012, 08:20 AM
I made him one, Austinn ate it up! He is very experimental. Sometimes you can just give anything new straight out of the hand, other times you need to put it in a soupie. I will post pictures of him enjoying it in another section of the forum.

ferretzrule
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Mine get fresh raw eggs daily from my chickens. I only recommend raw eggs if you can get them fresh or pasteurized...otherwise you run a greater risk of salmonella. Excessive amounts of whole raw egg can cause biotin deficiency. I use one whole egg in ferret soup, but that soup is divided among no less than 6 ferrets at a time.

Cooked eggs (any way but fried) are a healthy treat for your ferret. If you feed shells, make sure they are ground up to prevent any swallowing accidents.

Pumpkin will always be my first choice for relieving diarrhea AND constipation. Pumpkin can be frozen in ice trays and stored in freezer bags, ready when needed for poo problems.

Angel
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
i thought ferrets couldnt eat fruits

ferretzrule
07-04-2012, 11:29 PM
As a rule, ferrets do not digest fruits and vegetables. Pumpkin, which is a soluble fiber, works to add hydration to the intestinal tract while the fiber aids in pushing things through the tract, such as loose fur. Ferrets do not gain any significant nutritional value from the pumpkin, and as with all things, it should be used in moderation.

Angel
07-04-2012, 11:33 PM
okay, i will definitely look into this

jadeguppy
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
ferretzrule you are so lucky to have access to fresh eggs! I've been thinking about getting a chicken or two for over a year now.

I was just wondering about eggs earlier today and reading up on them. Apparently it is the white portion that pulls biotin from the body, but the yolk contains biotin to replace it. If you feed a consistent diet of only the whites, then a biotin deficiency may develop. Yes, I'm a research addict! :reader:

I'm thinking of adding an egg to their soup mix and to my dogs' food.

fuzzybugs
07-18-2012, 01:54 PM
ferretzrule you are so lucky to have access to fresh eggs! I've been thinking about getting a chicken or two for over a year now.

You can have my neighbor's! just make sure to take the rooster too :D
..My noise-cancellation headphones broke... :online2long:

ZekeKisses77
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I have heard from other people that you can feed them a hard boiled egg, I would take off the shell, yea.

danaw
12-05-2012, 04:05 PM
My fert eats raw eggs, with no shell. Ferrets are carnivores and their digestive tract is so fast that salmonella and e coli don't have enough time to sit in their bodies to cause sickness, so don't worry about the fact that it is raw. Their bodies are also made to deal with the extra bacteria from raw foods. :)

Mod note: removed link.

BadgersMama
12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Raw eggs are perfectly fine. However, when feeding raw you ALWAYS want to wash your hand and area raw food may have touched.

TLC
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Ok wait a minute, getting back to that little blender.... What brand was that thing. I need to find that kind. I have burned out about 7-8 little coffee grinder's in the name of soupy! LOL I want to get what she has! :hammer:

ferretzrule
12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't know what they're using, but I use an old Black and Decker 7 speed mixer on the #3 chop cycle to make 5+ cups of ground kibble at a time. :D

BadgersMama
12-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Vitamix is in our house, best thing we ever bought for the kids.

bobsmom
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Yep, love my Vitamix.

ferretzrule
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM
My fert eats raw eggs, with no shell. Ferrets are carnivores and their digestive tract is so fast that salmonella and e coli don't have enough time to sit in their bodies to cause sickness, so don't worry about the fact that it is raw. Their bodies are also made to deal with the extra bacteria from raw foods. :)Check out this forum for more info on natural diets and find out the truth about them.
http://www.holisticferret60.proboards.com/index.cgi

Truth? Have they finally found a qualified veterinary nutritionist to post on the board?

Please be factual, this is, after all a forum for beginners. Though it is not common, ferrets can contract both e. coli and salmonella from ANY diet.

http://www.jwildlifedis.org/content/37/3/617.full.pdf
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Colibacillosis.htm
http://www.biomedsearch.com/nih/Isolation-Salmonella-typhi-murium-from/16561473.html

DextersMom
12-07-2012, 04:57 PM
How I got Dexter to start eating a mix when he was only eating blue buffallo was I took a plastic baggie and mixed blue buffallo chicken with evo zupreem grain free and epigen 90 and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I put the mix in his bowl and he eats it. I use leftovers for soupy at night. :)

DextersMom
12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Oh and if your giving soupy dont forget to brush his teeth! :)