PDA

View Full Version : Pedialyte

JuniorsMommy
06-12-2006, 03:53 PM
how long does pedialyte stay "good" after it is opened?If you give a ferret pedialyte that is no longer "good" what are the effects?when you give a ferret pedialyte how much is to much?

Phil
06-12-2006, 04:55 PM
how long does pedialyte stay "good" after it is opened?If you give a ferret pedialyte that is no longer "good" what are the effects?when you give a ferret pedialyte how much is to much?

what exactly is "pedialyte"?

KokosDaddy
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM

LOL - Typical "guy" answer!!!

Sorry - had to!!!

Pedialyte is water for infants. It is meant to restore electrolytes lost when a baby has diarrhea, or isn't getting enough liquids due to an illness. Its also great for ferrets!

As far as shelf life - there is a date code on the Pedialyte. Stick to it like its scripture... I don't kow the effects of out of code Pedialyte... but I wouldn't want to find out. I'd go broke helping my kids if they're sick... I'll toss it and walk to the store barefooted over broken glass if I have to in order to get what they need to be well again...

JuniorsMommy
06-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Pedialyte was made to replace fluids and electrolytes lost during diarrhea and vomiting in children and infants. I have pedialyte singles apple flavor (my kids really like apple flavor:D).these are the ingredients on the label:
(pareve,)water,dextrose;less than 2%of:fructose,citric acid,sodium chloride,potassium citrate,sodium citrate, potassium sorbate,sodium benzoate,artificial apple flavor,caramel color, acesulfame potassium and sucralose.

then it says:
pedialyte singles provide (per 8 fl oz):sodium,10.6 mEq;potassium,4.7 mEq;chloride,8.3 mEq;dextrose,4.7 grams;fructose,1.2 grams;energy,24 calories.hope this helps.:)

JuniorsMommy
06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
LOL - Typical "guy" answer!!!

Sorry - had to!!!

Pedialyte is water for infants. It is meant to restore electrolytes lost when a baby has diarrhea, or isn't getting enough liquids due to an illness. Its also great for ferrets!

As far as shelf life - there is a date code on the Pedialyte. Stick to it like its scripture... I don't kow the effects of out of code Pedialyte... but I wouldn't want to find out. I'd go broke helping my kids if they're sick... I'll toss it and walk to the store barefooted over broken glass if I have to in order to get what they need to be well again...

i was just curious about effects of out dated pedialyte.I HAVE NEVER GIVEN IT TO MY KIDS OUT DATED! i'm with you as far as walking over broken glass barefooted to help my kids!especially if they are sick. i occasionally give them pedialyte to help them stay used to the taste.

chewie'smom@dad
06-14-2006, 06:41 PM
well i dont know if this will help. but my mom is a baby nurse. she works with babies on vets. and their main diet is pedialyte. she said that once u open it up its only good for 48 hours. now if its not open she said its good till the date on the can. but i dont know if whats good for a child is still good for a ferret. but thats the only info i have on pedialyte. so i thought i would pass it on.

BadgersMama
06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
well i dont know if this will help. but my mom is a baby nurse. she works with babies on vets. and their main diet is pedialyte. she said that once u open it up its only good for 48 hours. now if its not open she said its good till the date on the can. but i dont know if whats good for a child is still good for a ferret. but thats the only info i have on pedialyte. so i thought i would pass it on.

I have heard the same thing. However, I'm not sure if that goes with ferrets. We have given our kids it up to a week after we have opened it, and everything seemed to be fine. If anyone has the answer to this, please let us know. (I think I'll call the vet just in case.)

JuniorsMommy
06-16-2006, 04:40 PM
I have heard the same thing. However, I'm not sure if that goes with ferrets. We have given our kids it up to a week after we have opened it, and everything seemed to be fine. If anyone has the answer to this, please let us know. (I think I'll call the vet just in case.)

So then is it ok to give it to up to a week after opening it? is it okay say if it was open for 2 weeks?

KokosDaddy
06-16-2006, 05:10 PM
So then is it ok to give it to up to a week after opening it? is it okay say if it was open for 2 weeks?

When in doubt... ask your vet... we only have just so much experience here! lol

JuniorsMommy
06-16-2006, 05:21 PM
When in doubt... ask your vet... we only have just so much experience here! lol

I did just that and my vet said you should follow the directions on the bottle.you should not give it to them after 48 hours of it being opened. especially because ferrets are so susceptible to so many things.

as experienced as u 2 are i just figured you would know.......:D

while i am trusting of the people on here, i am not so sure about my vet! I use him because he is the only one even remotely close to where i live that will see ferrets.

KokosDaddy
06-16-2006, 07:14 PM
If you live in a clean place, and wash your hands before you dispense the Pedialyte, and keep it regrigerated after opening to keep it somewhat fresh - I'd think you could make it last alot longer than 48 hours. We have and it still worked its magic! When all is said and done, and even if the Pedialyte has lost its punch - its still just water!

JuniorsMommy
06-16-2006, 07:22 PM
If you live in a clean place, and wash your hands before you dispense the Pedialyte, and keep it regrigerated after opening to keep it somewhat fresh - I'd think you could make it last alot longer than 48 hours. We have and it still worked its magic! When all is said and done, and even if the Pedialyte has lost its punch - its still just water!

Ok.....thank you.....That is what i wanted to know..... :)

BadgersMama
06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I did just that and my vet said you should follow the directions on the bottle.you should not give it to them after 48 hours of it being opened. especially because ferrets are so susceptible to so many things.

as experienced as u 2 are i just figured you would know.......:D

while i am trusting of the people on here, i am not so sure about my vet! I use him because he is the only one even remotely close to where i live that will see ferrets.

I wouldn't give it to them after 5 days open. I'll asked the vet at the meeting tomorrow and see what he has to say. I will also place a call to our kids vet and see what he has to say. I'll let you know what I find out.

JuniorsMommy
06-16-2006, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't give it to them after 5 days open. I'll asked the vet at the meeting tomorrow and see what he has to say. I will also place a call to our kids vet and see what he has to say. I'll let you know what I find out.

ok thank you very much!!!!:)

BadgersMama
06-17-2006, 08:54 PM

OK, as promised I asked the vet today at our meeting and he said the same thing that KokoDaddy and I have been saying. It's OK to give the Pedialyte after 48 hours. Water is water is water... I hope this helps.

JuniorsMommy
06-17-2006, 09:46 PM
OK, as promised I asked the vet today at our meeting and he said the same thing that KokoDaddy and I have been saying. It's OK to give the Pedialyte after 48 hours. Water is water is water... I hope this helps.

It does! Thank you very, very, very, much!!!!

karybear
08-04-2006, 01:11 AM
okay i know the spelling is like really bad but its 1am and i had a thought because i live in the hottest place aka hell...i know that people dehydrate very easily i have 5 water bottles..but pedialite has that extra boost of viatmins i was wondering would it hurt to give the ferrets some even tho they arnt sick just to keep them extra hydrated like everyonce in a while??

BadgersMama
08-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Nope, it won't hurt them at all. Matter of fact, I would encourage you to give it to them. Remember, do not give them the flavored one; get the unflavored.

KokosDaddy
08-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Think of Pedialyte as Gatorade for ferts, but without the flavor. Its not the vitamins... its the balance of electrolytes that makes all the difference.

And your spelling of Pedialyte is spot-on!

karybear
08-04-2006, 02:01 PM
oh okay great than im gonna do that..thanks

Phil
08-04-2006, 02:12 PM
can u buy pedialyte at a pet shop?

JuniorsMommy
08-04-2006, 02:38 PM
can u buy pedialyte at a pet shop?

No. It is sold in grocery stores.Where the baby food and formula is..........

Phil
08-04-2006, 04:14 PM
No. It is sold in grocery stores.Where the baby food and formula is..........

i'll look for it. how do u use it? mix it in the water?

KokosDaddy
08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
i'll look for it. how do u use it? mix it in the water?

No Phil, it IS water - just balance for electrolytes. Don't mix it with anything except if you want to add it to food to moisten and further supplement the ferret's intake of liquids (always a good thing!). You can use it just like water from the tap... After all, its only water!

Phil
08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
No Phil, it IS water - just balance for electrolytes. Don't mix it with anything except if you want to add it to food to moisten and further supplement the ferret's intake of liquids (always a good thing!). You can use it just like water from the tap... After all, its only water!

i'll check it out.

karybear
08-04-2006, 05:23 PM
should i put it in one of their water jugs?? i just bought some

BadgersMama
08-04-2006, 07:00 PM
should i put it in one of their water jugs?? i just bought some

No, put it in a crock if you have one. You want to keep it fresh, changed daily. Do not mix with any other water.