PDA

View Full Version : Capt. Grinding Teeth

hcrawford55
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
One of my new ferrets, Captain Howdy, grinds his teeth. But only when he is eating his food. He doesn't act like he's in any sort of pain, he's really playful, dances around, and everything. I mean, he even has given my quite a bit of kisses! He'll take a few pieces of kibble in his mouth, crunch them up, then grind his teeth for a few seconds, and eat some more, then grind his teeth again. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks!!!

-Hannah

Pingford
11-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Take a look inside his mouth. Are there any discolored teeth? Any brown or black spots, maybe on a molar? Any area in his gums that are red or swollen? Maybe he has tooth ache or a bad tooth somewhere. Grinding of teeth is usually a symptom of pain somewhere. Let me know what you find!
K-

mayhemkb
11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
If Captain's teeth look ok to you at first glance take him in to the vet today. It is most likley intestinal upset caused by stress. He will most likely need to be treated for ulcers (carafate, pepcid ac, Possibly amoxicillin and Metronidazole)

Grinding teeth is a sign of an upset tummy or bad teeth. If his teeth look bad to you get him in ASAP, but with upset tummys and the risk of ulcers I would get to a vet today if the teeth look ok. This is nothing to panic over but problems with upset tummies happen fast in ferrets.

On an aside did you have pictures of the newbies posted anywhere. I would like to see your new additions.

hcrawford55
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I just went and looked at his teeth and gums, and they all look fine. No discoloration of any sort. And I was just thinking... If he had an upset tummy, or ulcers, wouldn't he notbeeating? Just wondering. And like I said, he just does it when it eats. Not a constant thing. I'm really sorry, I don't wanna sound like a b*tch.. :(

-Hannah

Pingford
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
It may hurt BECAUSE he's eating. An ulcer may act up when the belly is trying to digest foods.

Here's some good info, be sure to read the "CLINICAL SIGNS" section:

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/ulcers.html

hcrawford55
11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Ahhh, alright. I was reading that they may grind their teeth out of stress from 'moving to a new home'. That could be it too. I'll email the girl I got them from and ask her if he ever did that when he was with her. And I also read that you can give them Pepto Bismol? If so, would it be okay if I try it? Just wondering!!

-Hannah

bobsmom
11-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Teeth grinding can also be a sign of stress or depression. Bob ground his teeth A LOT when we first got him. It only took a day or two and that stopped. Remember that he is new to your household and possible had a new diet as well. Lots of things can cause stress.

If your ferrett has a ulcer he probably had dark tarry stools. Look at his poop and see. A vet visit shouldn't be ruled out if the behavior continues.

This is just my opinion, but I don't treat what I am not sure of. Check with his last ferrent and see if the behavior stops after a day or two. if it doesn't., then go to the vet for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

mayhemkb
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Hannah-
You are not being a B*tch. I was very confused the first time I had a ferret grind his teeth with me too. Pingford is right. That site is a great one. Dr Bruce Williams knows what he is talking about. It does sound like Captain is just stressed out. That is not your fault. He is just in a new home, and meeting a new Wee. I would be stressed too.

A ferret having an ulcer is like a human having an ulcer. It hurts when they eat because acid is getting into a open wound. It is very common for a ferret to grind while or after eating with an upset tummy.

The reason I stressed getting Captain in today is not because it is a terrible emegency (It can easliy be treated) but because the vet will be closing soon in our neck of the woods and the weekend is typically a crapshoot for exotic vets in WI.

kfarlee
11-09-2007, 12:09 PM
If you decide to try Pepto Bismol, be sure to wear something that looks good with pink-splatter accents.

Most ferrets HATE Pepto. The newer cherry flavor goes down much better IMO.

It would be better though to take the captain to a good ferret vet so that you can get to the root of what's going on as quickly as possible. It may be nothing, but if an ulcer keeps getting worse, it can cause very serious problems.

hcrawford55
11-09-2007, 12:16 PM
LOL on the Pepto Bismol.. I'm gonna try that. And if he doesn't like it (which by my luck, he won't), I'll call the vet. I don't want anything to happen to my baby! And thank you, everyone, for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'll keep everyone updated on him.

-Hannah

Phil
11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
LOL on the Pepto Bismol.. I'm gonna try that. And if he doesn't like it (which by my luck, he won't), I'll call the vet. I don't want anything to happen to my baby! And thank you, everyone, for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'll keep everyone updated on him.

-Hannah

we used pepto bismol with bandit when he was very young and had an obstruction. he absolutely loathed it. but our vet recommended it, and it seemed to do some good.

like everybody else said, i would take him to the vet as soon as you can.

hcrawford55
11-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, he has stopped grinding his teeth. I asked his is he was okay, and he gave me a single kiss on the nose. But I still called the vet, and couldn't get in until next week. Hopefully everything turns out good!!

-Hannah

Phil
11-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, he has stopped grinding his teeth. I asked his is he was okay, and he gave me a single kiss on the nose. But I still called the vet, and couldn't get in until next week. Hopefully everything turns out good!!

-Hannah

i sure hope everything is ok.

Meeko
11-10-2007, 09:34 AM

-Hannah

I certainly don't blame you for calling and getting him an appointment. I will pray his visit goes well. You are a good ferrent. :)

hcrawford55
11-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I certainly don't blame you for calling and getting him an appointment. I will pray his visit goes well. You are a good ferrent. :)

Thank you.. I soon hope to be as good of a ferrent as you, and everyone else on this forum. :)

-Hannah

Meeko
11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Thank you.. I soon hope to be as good of a ferrent as you, and everyone else on this forum. :)

-Hannah

Hey, I have only been a ferrent for 8 months and I am still learning!!