PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

Megawee
08-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I feed my dog a little olive oil everyday because her stools tend to get dry and she has a hard time going potty. My little furkid loves to go behind her and lick the bowl clean, or even sometimes pushes her out of the way to get the bigger share of the oil. There's nothing like watching a 2lb ferret bossing around a 52lb Blue Heeler. Anyway the oil dosen't seem to bother him, and I haven't come across any references to it anywhere...is it o.k. to continue this little treat?

KokosDaddy
08-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Yup, its ok it use olive oil - but try to do it in moderation. Too much of anything isn't a good thing anymore. Try mixing your olive oil half and half with Ferretone and see how your fert will go nuts...

Megawee
08-05-2006, 04:41 AM
First KokoDaddy, let me say I just love your avatar. It tickles me everytime I see it.
Next another question...is Marshall's Furovite the same as Ferretone? Weezer won't eat the Furovite without mixing the olive oil in with it. I looked at the pet store last time I was there and didn't see the Ferretone. I hate to flood you with a bunch of questions...but...Weezer also does not particularly care for any type of ferret food that I have fed him. We started out with Zupreem, ok at first but then started to reject it, same with Ultra 8 in 1. Now I am trying Marshall's mixed with the 8 in 1. Still indifferent. He prefers to run the cats off and eat their Science Diet Indoor Cat formula. I think that is how he is managing to keep the little bit of weight on that he has. He is a bit peeved at me right now because I stopped feeding him grapes after reading other posts here. One of his favorite treats. I guess since fresh fruit is really a no-no, fresh sliced potatoes are off-limits too? Boy is he really going to be mad at me.

KokosDaddy
08-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Ferrets are obligate carnivores, no matter what you have heard. Potatoes are a starch, vegetable protein and have little if any substance to them as far as ferrets are concerned. You might want to try some Totally Ferret food. We picked up a bag recently to see what our kids thought of it - and all of a sudden we have a new treat for them. 8 out of 9 totally love Totally Ferret!

To be honest, until the last 5-7 years there wasn't really much on the market for ferrets and there was even less in the way of scientific evidence that cat food wasn't as good for them as anything you could buy for ferrets. Now there's evidence to the contrary. We feed about 98% Marshall Farms Premium Diet, but we have been playing with chicken baby food as well as the Totally Ferret.

Ferretone is made by 8-in-1 Brand. The stuff is great for them, but also only in moderation.

Don't worry about making your little guy mad. He won't miss it soon enough. Plus, whatever you give him that contains glucose (complex sugar) or fructose (fruit sugar) can cause problems for them later in life. Just because they like it - doesn't mean that they should have it. Its not being mean, its simply making 100% sure that the foods you supply your fuzzies with is going to serve their needs well. If we were to be able to eat all we wanted, every day, at any time - we'd all be massively obese. Since ferrets have to eat, and eat often, its your job as a good ferret parent and caretaker to be sure that 100% of what he eats is as healthy for him as possible.

Thanks for the kind words about my avatar. that's my Koko, animated by another member here (Draconius) for me for use as my avatar. I'm completely smitten by Koko - she has me wrapped around that same paw that's waving at you.

Phil
08-08-2006, 08:43 AM
how does one go about mixing the olive oil and ferretone? just put a few drops of each in a teaspoon? i am thinking of getting olive oil for bandit because i am fearful of him getting too much vitamin A from the marshall furotone. i give him about 1/4 teaspoon of furotone every day, adding it to his food and letting him lick the rest from the spoon.

BadgersMama
08-08-2006, 08:47 AM
how does one go about mixing the olive oil and ferretone? just put a few drops of each in a teaspoon? i am thinking of getting olive oil for bandit because i am fearful of him getting too much vitamin A from the marshall furotone. i give him about 1/4 teaspoon of furotone every day, adding it to his food and letting him lick the rest from the spoon.
Will Bandit eat without having the furotone? If so, don't give it to him daily. Try every other day.

Phil
08-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Will Bandit eat without having the furotone? If so, don't give it to him daily. Try every other day.

i'm going to try that. what exatly does olive oil do? cut the vitamin A in ferretone/furotone?

Fuzzielover
08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Phil I Read That Half and half is A good Mixture But it should be Virgin Olive oil .. Thats what we use The Kids Love it as stated from others plus it saves A few Dollars ..

Phil
08-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Phil I Read That Half and half is A good Mixture But it should be Virgin Olive oil .. Thats what we use The Kids Love it as stated from others plus it saves A few Dollars ..

so a little virgin olive oil mixed with a little furotone is ok? i don't want bandit to get sick.

Fuzzielover
08-08-2006, 05:51 PM
so a little virgin olive oil mixed with a little furotone is ok? i don't want bandit to get sick. PhilFreebie our oldest has Insulonemia and has for 1 and one half years we use to give all our kids just ferrotone but I read in the A.F.A That virgin olive oil mixed with ferretone is good for them . Plus it is all my ferrets will eat Pogo has A.G.D. But Eats like A little Pig and has been growing some of her fuzz back .. Katman will not even touch his food without it and their stools seem better than ever .. I hope it works for Bandit and you cause that is A Very Precious Baby !!! Lots of luck .. Tim ,Cheryl & Fur kids

Phil
08-08-2006, 06:02 PM
i'm definitely going to try the ferritone (furotone) virgin olive oil combo. bandit will eat the kibble without it, but he prefers it with. he'll do absolutely anything to get a taste of it, but he only gets a small amount once a day.

Phil
08-09-2006, 06:31 AM
i am very pleased to report that bandit WILL eat the kibble with no furotone added! so i can reduce thre amount of furotone from every day, to maybe a 1/4 of a teaspoon every other day. i am probably going to dilute it with virgin olive oil also.

BadgersMama
08-09-2006, 08:35 AM
That's great news Phil. Good job!

Phil
08-10-2006, 06:47 AM
he doesn't need all that vitamin A. too much is probably toxic.

i am wondering, will bandit's fur remain as soft and smooth as it is now if i cut down the furotone? i hope so!

BadgersMama
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes Phil, Bandit will still be soft, smooth and silky.

Phil
08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes Phil, Bandit will still be soft, smooth and silky.

thank goodness! i don't know about all ferrets, but bandit is smoother and softer than a puppy, rabbit, kitten, or even a chinchilla. when we first got him his fur and skin were dry and kind of flaky, but regular furotone soon fixed that. plus he gained weight when we started feeding him the marshall food moistened. i think he was too little in the petshop to be eating dry kibble. he now eats it dry.

i have become very protective of ferrets in pet stores recently. if they can't handle dry kibble, they shouldn't be forced to eat it. and if i see them on the wrong bedding or anything amiss, either judy or myself will bring it to the attention of the store manager. in a polite way, of course.

Raw Vegan Momma
08-11-2006, 03:34 AM
I mix about 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil in their treats/food about 3-4 times weekly. I donít buy ferretone but I make my own moist treats. They love them! Yep olive oil aid in keeping your fuzzies fur soft and silky I also think feeding them a good diet plays a very important role.

Phil
08-11-2006, 06:26 AM
I mix about 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil in their treats/food about 3-4 times weekly. I donít buy ferretone but I make my own moist treats. They love them! Yep olive oil aid in keeping your fuzzies fur soft and silky I also think feeding them a good diet plays a very important role.

what are the moist treats u make? are they easy to make?

Raw Vegan Momma
08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
They are fairly easy to make. I keep them frozen since they are made with chicken. I bring out the amount I want. I'll post the recipe in a few days. I rarely measure the ingredients I just toss it in. :-) The next time I make the I will measure.
I make doggie snacks for my Maltese, Lalita. She loves them!:love2:

Phil
08-11-2006, 02:34 PM
They are fairly easy to make. I keep them frozen since they are made with chicken. I bring out the amount I want. I'll post the recipe in a few days. I rarely measure the ingredients I just toss it in. :-) The next time I make the I will measure.
I make doggie snacks for my Maltese, Lalita. She loves them!:love2:

oh great thank u! maybe judy will make some for bandit. :)

Whatnow
08-19-2006, 11:40 AM
So what is ferretone? Should I give this to my Ferret?

Phil
08-19-2006, 12:01 PM
So what is ferretone? Should I give this to my Ferret?

ferretone (and marshall farm's version "furotone") are a collection of fatty acids and vitamins that act as a skin and coat supplement for ferrets. as far as i know, most ferrets LOVE it, and will take as much as u can give them. i cut bandit's portion down from every day, to twice a week, because he eats the marshall ferret food which also has vitamin A in it and i didn't want him overdosing. but i know he loves it whenever i offer it to him. it must REALLY taste great to ferrets.

in moderation, ferretone/furotone is very good for ferrets, and they will do almost anything to get a taste of it! ;) only give about 1/4 of a teaspoon though. that's how much i give bandit. you can see a tremendous difference in the quality of their fur after just 1 day. bandit's fur is super soft and smooth, and shiney.

Whatnow
08-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Looks Like I'll have to get that. Which 1 is best? Or does it even matter?

Phil
08-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Looks Like I'll have to get that. Which 1 is best? Or does it even matter?

i don't think it matters, since the 2 products are probably very similar. but maybe other people herehave different opinions.

Phil
08-25-2006, 01:16 PM
i'm disappointed. bandit hates the olive oil! i mixed a little with furotone, offered it to him on a spoon, and he looked at me like i was trying to poison him!

how can i get him to take the furotone/olive oil combo? i don't want him to get vitamin A overdose?

BadgersMama
08-25-2006, 01:25 PM
i'm disappointed. bandit hates the olive oil! i mixed a little with furotone, offered it to him on a spoon, and he looked at me like i was trying to poison him!

how can i get him to take the furotone/olive oil combo? i don't want him to get vitamin A overdose?

Phil, you don't need to give him the olive oil combo. Just give him less furotone like I mentioned before - a couple times per week, not everyday like you normally do.

K10Widow
08-25-2006, 01:28 PM

Did you mix it 1/2 and 1/2? Do you normally offer ferretone on a spoon?

I mix my tone in a small, sport-top bottle I got in the sample section at Target.

For non mixed tone, as long as you are only feeding a pea size drip every other day you should be OK. If you used mixed tone a dime size drip daily is okey dokey.

Phil
08-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Phil, you don't need to give him the olive oil combo. Just give him less furotone like I mentioned before - a couple times per week, not everyday like you normally do.

howabout 3X a week...Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? he really doesn't like the olive oil. 3X a week a tiny bit of furotone won't bother him as far as too much Vitamin A?

BadgersMama
08-25-2006, 08:45 PM
howabout 3X a week...Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? he really doesn't like the olive oil. 3X a week a tiny bit of furotone won't bother him as far as too much Vitamin A?
There you go. Three times per week will be just fine. You're a good daddy, don't second guess what your doing for little Bandit.... really you're the only one who really know's what's best for Bandit, just remember that! If he dosen't like something, don't force him to eat it.

Phil
08-26-2006, 05:15 AM
There you go. Three times per week will be just fine. You're a good daddy, don't second guess what your doing for little Bandit.... really you're the only one who really know's what's best for Bandit, just remember that! If he dosen't like something, don't force him to eat it.

thank u so much for the complement! i just want to make sure i don't make any mistakes that could cause bandit to become ill. there are SO MANY things that can make a ferret sick, i just want to make sure i don't do anything to cause him to become ill because i made a mistake. but again, thank u for the complement. i try as hard as i can to take care of my fuzzy baby. :)

MysticalManana
08-30-2006, 07:45 AM
I think maybe the reason he isnt likeing the olive oil is that he doesnt like the stronger scent of the extra virgin olive oil. It comes from the first pressing of the ripe olives and has a much stronger odour than regular olive oil. Try just regular old olive oil and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with the ferretone, I think you will find he will try that. I am finding that with the olive oil its working out great with all 4 of my guys. I hope that helps.

Phil
08-30-2006, 10:53 AM
that extra virgin olive oil absolutely STINKS!!! we couldn't find "plain" olive oil. i ended up giving the extra virgin olive oil to judy to use in cooking. so it didn't totally go to waste. i don't know if trying to give bandit raw chicken livers would do much good if he didn't like them. then we'd be stuck with a carton of stuff that will totally go to waste. because i sure as heck won't touch chicken liver! ;)

KokosDaddy
08-30-2006, 01:45 PM
...because i sure as heck won't touch chicken liver! ;)

Ewwwwwwww.... liver!

Me too Phil!

Phil
08-30-2006, 02:26 PM
they look so gross...but i reckon if you're a ferret, they might be delicious!

LISAR
08-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Ewwwwwwww.... liver!

Me too Phil!

UUGGHH!! You wont even get me to buy ckn liver or anybody elses!!!
:puke: