Loving Ferrets Online Community Please Donate to Keep LF Online

Site Advertisers:

GoodSearch: You Search...We Give!

(If you are interested in advertising on LF, please contact Admin: KokosDaddy)

Non-Profit Organizations

California Domestic Ferret Educational Alliance

SOS - Support Our Shelters

Ferret Shelters & Organizations

Ferret Waystation - TX

Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance and Rescue - AZ

OCFerrets - CA

The Ferret Haven - KY

Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter - WA

Go Back   Loving Ferrets Online Community > General Ferret Chat > Ferret Health & Medical Issues

Ferret Health & Medical Issues Post questions, advice and all ferret health and medical stuff here.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Poops in Corners

FerretMath 11 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to FerretMath
Default Benadryl

I know you can give children's benadryl to ferrets. but what is the common dosage? My vet had said about .5cc of it, but that seems like an awful lot and she's not all that ferret knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of thing unfortunately.
I looked it up online and there is such a varying answer to the question...anywhere from .2cc to .6cc so I was just wondering how much you would recommend? It's for a 6 month old male that weighs about 2.5lb

Proud Mommy of the Studly Six
R.I.P. My little Koda-bug & my sweetheart Zack who made me fall in love with these amazing animals

Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM

5150 Moderator & N.A.F.A.R. Director (AZ) Shugah Mama!

ferretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to ferretzrule Send a message via Skype™ to ferretzrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMath View Post
I know you can give children's benadryl to ferrets. but what is the common dosage? My vet had said about .5cc of it, but that seems like an awful lot and she's not all that ferret knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of thing unfortunately.
I looked it up online and there is such a varying answer to the question...anywhere from .2cc to .6cc so I was just wondering how much you would recommend? It's for a 6 month old male that weighs about 2.5lb
Children's Benadryl (12.5mg/5mL) is given at 0.5-2mg/kg orally bid or tid (two or three times per day).

A teaspoon is about 5 mL
12.5/5 gets to 2.5 mg per mL
Since the amounts given are usually multiples of a tenth of the mL, 0.1 mL has 0.25 mg of Benadryl.
So, 0.2 mL has 0.5mg, 0.3 mL has 0.75 mg, 0.4 mL has 1.0 mg of Benadryl by weight, etc.

Since your ferret weighs 2.5 lbs, that is just a bit over 1kg. Therefore, the dose for your ferret will be about 0.25mL to 0.8mL every 8-12 hours. I would start at the lowest dose of 0.25mL and increase as needed.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Super Moderator

kfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nicekfarlee 1903 is just really nice

You can probably get a syringe without a needle at a local pharmacy.
Insulin syringes are very common and more than accurate enough for measuring these quantites.

Just curious, what are you treating with the benadryl?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM

Poops in Corners

Wow! Thanks for the information. I have a syringe from the vet and got some of the Benadryl today, so we are armed and ready for battle in the morning. The vet and I have a hunch that Fender is allergic to something which is causing his breathing issues in his cage (he's absolutely fine if he's out running around and such...very weird). So, the vet wants me to dose him the Benadryl for a couple days and let her know if he is still having problems. If he isn't we're going to further investigate what the allergy could be and how we can control it.

We really don't have a clue what he could be allergic to though. My detergent is hypoallergenic/dye free/perfume free and all that jazz...and he now has Yesterday's News for litter (I had thought he was perhaps allergic to the wood stove pellets I use for the other boys). There's really nothing in the cage that should be giving him an issue. I have him by himself just in case he is in fact sick (which we can't seem to diagnose him with anything either).

I came to the conclusion it's either something I've overlooked in the cage, or he's faking it so he can sit with mommy at the computer longer

R.I.P. My little Koda-bug & my sweetheart Zack who made me fall in love with these amazing animals
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Dookaholic

JuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to allJuniorsMommy 3869 is a name known to all

Do you use fabric softner? either dryer sheets or liquid could be aggravating to him. Some babies are more sensitive than others to fabric softners. Just a thought.
09-11-11 ~ Pixie
06-17-11 ~ BlackJack
06-16-11 ~ Savanna
05-10-11 ~ Junior my handsome dude.
07-03-10 ~ Hope
12-26-09 ~ Sweet Bandit boy.
06-27-09 ~ sweet Princess.
03-04-09 ~ Sir William. (Billy)
02-25-09 ~ Moki Moke! (Smokey)
06-29-08 ~ Buddy.
05-31-08 ~ Mitts.
11/13/07 ~ My sweet Rufus!
11/03/07 ~ Mr. Minky ~
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM

5150 Moderator & N.A.F.A.R. Director (AZ) Shugah Mama!

ferretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud offerretzrule 5381 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to ferretzrule Send a message via Skype™ to ferretzrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorsMommy View Post
Do you use fabric softner? either dryer sheets or liquid could be aggravating to him. Some babies are more sensitive than others to fabric softners. Just a thought.
I have one that is allergic to air fresheners and burning candles. Had to stop burning a candle in the sanctuary cause his little eyes would tear up and he would cough and sneeze.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Poops in Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorsMommy View Post
Nope. No fabric softener liquid. I'm allergic to that, myself. I do use dryer sheets but they are designed for babies and people with allergies so they are scent free and basically free of anything that would be useful haha. I use either Nature's Miracle laundry detergent or I'll use my own which is hypoallergenic/dye free.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 AM

Little Nipper

Iggy 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default litter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMath View Post
I came to the conclusion it's either something I've overlooked in the cage, or he's faking it so he can sit with mommy at the computer longer
Just a hunch, but what kind of litter are you using ? Many of them give off a dust which can cause a lot of sneezing.

I'm real curious to hear how the Benadryl treatment goes.

Jeff

www.AllAboutFerrets.NET
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Little Nipper

Iggy 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Just a hunch, but what kind of litter are you using ? Many of them give off a dust which can cause a lot of sneezing.

I'm real curious to hear how the Benadryl treatment goes.
Oops. I just re-read and saw "Yesterday's News"

Jeff

www.AllAboutFerrets.NET
Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Poops in Corners

Well, I was using wood stove pellets...and I know they bothered my other fuzzy, Diggory's little nosey. I recently swapped to Yesterday's News, thinking perhaps the wood stove pellets were bugging Fender, too. However, he was still coughing/sneezing with the YN. I treated him for about a week and a half with .25cc of Benadryl twice a day. He's no longer having problems and isn't on the Benadryl anymore. I suspect he was never fully healthy from whatever PetCo was treating him for, and the Benadryl helped to cover up the symptoms.

I must say, that Benadryl sure is powerful! I'd hear Fender cough or sneeze, pop some Benadryl in him, and within a couple minutes, he was not sneezing or coughing anymore. I didn't dose him on time one night, and he was MISERABLE. He was frozen in his cage just sneezing and sneezing and sneezing over and over. Small dose of the 'magic medicine' and he was happily bouncing around again.

Benadryl is amazing. End of story.